.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sam Lowe's blog on Enterprise IT

Sunday, August 01, 2010

A lot can happen in 3 years

Almost exactly three years after my personal blogging lapsed, I've started blogging at work related to the job I now have.

As it happens, the job I now have is based on the work I've done over the last three years in subjects that in several cases I first structured in order to blog about here, mostly in 2006 and 2007.

For example, thoughts like what would web 2.0 approaches mean for Enterprise systems, the inadequate understanding of social dynamics in Enterprise IT, the operationally-responsible CTO, breaking free of the constraints of Enterprise IT selection and procurement processes and the many about delivering useful services without any SOA 'high-horsery' are all relevant.

Now I am a bit concerned that going from no activity to two blogs might be a bit too much of a commitment, but I intend to start using this blog again now (at least a little), to explore some of the concepts and ideas that are too conceptual, exploratory or involved for the audience over on the work blog.

3 Comments:

  • From a business perspective, why is enterprise IT better than non enterprise IT? Lets face it, given the trend toward exteralized service delivery, enterprise IT as we used to know it, is dead!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:55 am  

  • Ha, very good question.

    When I talk about Enterprise IT I'm talking about the IT used by Enterprises, not that delivered by Enterpirse IT departments.

    You are right that many IT services may trend from being delivered internally to externally. That doesn't stop it being Enterprise IT.

    Where it is delivered from is a different question to what it is used for.

    Enterprises have particular needs related to scope, business-processes, functionality, security policies, service-levels etc that are different from Consumer IT or any other type. Not necessarily better, just different.

    By Blogger Sam Lowe, at 1:24 pm  

  • Hmm this is probably why not many people write comments on my blog even though there are quite a number of hits a day
    This post is a real mind-opener, and the example of the portrait is just right. As a new blogger, I’m clearly taking up all the space and only creating a small opening for the reader at the end. I think what I’ve been doing is more like writing parts of a book than a blog.

    By Anonymous ian, at 8:00 am  

Post a Comment


via Haloscan

<< Home